Do you know the proper way to floss? If you are not careful, you could be doing more harm than good to your teeth and gums. Even the type of floss you are using could be detrimental to your oral health. There are a few basic steps to keep in mind when flossing:
– Floss at least once a day.
– Break off a piece of thread approximately 18 inches in length.
– Wrap each end of the floss around each middle finger until you only have an inch or two to work with.
– Gently slide the floss up-and-down between your teeth and avoiding pressing too hard when reaching the gumline.
– When you reach the gumline, gently curve the floss into a ‘C’ shape around the tooth, to clean beneath the gumline.
– When moving to a new tooth, use the same gentle up-and-down motion to move away from your finished tooth.
– Each time you move to a new tooth, use a new section of the floss by adjusting the line using your middle finger.
– Remember to get between every tooth, as well as the back of your last teeth (molars).
You can always ask our team for recommendations on effective flossing products, and remember to brush twice daily, for at least two minutes each session. If you would like to schedule an appointment with our dentist at Meyer Dentistry, please give us a call at 864-213-4442, or stop by our office in Greenville, South Carolina.