How can you tell if you have gum disease? Oftentimes gum disease is completely painless, thus resulting in no diagnosis until its advanced stages. However, even those who have excellent oral health can be at an increased risk for no other reason than bad genetics. Fortunately, there are some visual clues that can help one determine if gum disease is setting in:
– Are your gums easily distended, excessively red, or extremely tender?
– Do your gums bleed a lot when brushing or flossing?
– Do you usually have bad breath or bad taste that simply won’t go away?
– Do your teeth often feel wobbly or has there been any changes in your bite patterns?
– Are you vulnerable to gum disease because of smoking or chewing tobacco, diabetes, or a pregnancy?
– Do your gums appear to be withdrawing or pulling back from your teeth?
– Have you, or are you taking any forms of medication that can increase your risk for gum disease?
If you answered yes to any of the following questions, you may have, or be at a heightened risk for, gum disease. Please schedule an oral exam with Dr. James Meyer and our team at Meyer Dentistry so we can help you combat the illness and return you to better oral health. Our dental office is located in Greenville, South Carolina, and we can be reached at 864-213-4442. Come align your oral health care goals and your dreams with us!